Take health care: Karl Heinz says: I am not an expert in healthcare by any means, but my sense is 95% of Americans have a vastly better experience than 95% of Canadians (this is clearly opinion and i would have difficulty proving this). There are, of course, all kinds of studies around, and I would need to do some digging as well to support my point of view, and I do not think we want to debate the accuracy of different studies, however it seems to me that in a just society, the well need to contribute to the health care costs of the unwell, and, I think, the unpoor, need to contribute to the health care costs of the poor. If these two conditions can be met within a privately run and financed healthcare system, good. Then the only question is which system is more efficient, the single pay, government one, or the private one. But, frankly, I fail to see how a system that assumes we are all served best if we look after ourselves only, will satisfy these conditions.
Looking at the Canadian healthcare system, I see huge problems within it. These need to be fixed. But I do not believe privatizing the system would make it more just or more efficient. What we hear, (from German immigrants) is that the German systems is better, in many respects. I do not know if this is true. Caroline, you may have blogged about it. I have not read all. For me, a disturbing aspect of the current US debate is that I do not hear those favoring private health care acknowledge shortcomings in that system, and suggesting ways to improve it. Maybe this discussion is taking place, and I'm just not hearing it. All I hear is what sounds to me like propaganda.
That's enough. We're getting company.
I often thought about blogging about the German health care system and yes I think it has the best care in the world as far as availability and efficiency goes, but the best system, best cost efficiency wise? I doubt that Americans or Canadians would be willing to pay for it.
ReplyDeleteI have not blogged about it since I am still learning the system and can only speak on my impression based on personal experience or what I learn from others.
Here's a brief recap:
It is a statutory health care where people choose their health insurance from a number of government approved companies.
15% is deducted directly from income plus a monthly amount for Altersversorge, nursing elderly care. There is a two tier system, a "better care" system for higher income earners.
on top of this one pays 10 euro a day for a hospital stay and hospital stays are twice if not three times as long as in Canada.
Seem to be no shortage of beds. No problem getting into one and no rush to get out of one.
10 euro a quarter for a dr visit.
Plus additional costs for tests which used to be covered but now cost extra like mammograms for e.g. 80 euros.
Emergency care is excellent, fast and with doctor on board plus if necessary a helicopter.
No waiting times or little for doctors, specialists, surgery, tests, treatment, rehab etc.
Ultrasounds are taken in the doctor's office, just part of their equipment.
Home visits norm.
Meds are the highest they say in Europe which makes no sense since I bet they are all made here. Bayer, Merck and I think Pfizer are all German aren't they?
Once when I was cut off from insurance for months,I tell you I cried,not literally, for the Canadian system where this could not happen and no one could demand an addt'l 170 euro a month for coverage.
Living without insurance for months was a very uneasy feeling. We all have our systems that we take for granted.
Health Care is a topic i dont feel i understand properly as it is quite complicated, so i welcome others feedback. I do beleive that having more price discovery by those paying, and more competition, are the right strategies to pursue. I do appreciate why one wants everyone to have access to health care. In the US, everyone does have access to care and it is illegal to deny care just because someone doesnt have insurance. I feel it is an old wives tale, the stories of people being denied care due to lack of insurance. Anecodatelly, I have been to emergency a few times, and have never been asked for my insurance card until after the fact. But the US system has its problems for sure, the costs are not sustainable, but unfortunately the 'facts' coming from the vast majority of the media and the Obama adminstration, are simply wrong(most obvious that 48mln Americans dont have access to health care, where they are adding up 14mln non-citizens, as well as ignore that roughly 70% of the 48mln make more than $70k and choose not to have insurance and instead pay out of pocket)
ReplyDeleteCaroline, i have heard that the trend in Germany taking hold the past year in particular, is to allow people out of the government health care system in favor of private insurance. Is this consistent with the data you have seen?
ReplyDeletePrivate insurance has always been an option, it is sort of like a preferred coverage, mostly from what I have been told for higher income earners or those without dependents. But you can choose your doctors with it, get a private room and other perks. I don't know if a trend has been to get it but I do know people are complaining that they have to wait longer than private insured patients, though the waiting longer is relative and I find really not of a concern.
ReplyDelete