Actually, based on this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8S3yws_88I from the same debate, I could see myself voting for Ron Paul. This is why I have a problem with the fault lines, and wonder who actually determines what they should be.
To the Bethania venture and the Menno Benevolent Society, you could add the 9 mental health facilities owned by Monnonites in NA, Mennonite Disaster Service, MCC, Mennonite Economic Development Associates. And that's only a start. I am trilled that I am part of a Christian denomination that has offerred those on the margins and the poor a wide variety of services and assistance. But from my perspective this has always been because government did not do enough. It was never a statement that government should not be developing programs to assist the poor.
Oh dear. Uncle Eric. Did you read the quote from the Bethania book that Caroline sent saying: "Caring for the distressed and disadvantaged is an integral part of the philosophy in the developing history of the Mennonite Church, beginning with its inception in the Netherlands. The state it was believed should not be expected to assume the responsibility for the needy among them."
see that, "THE STATE SHOULD NOT BE EXPEECTED TO ASSUME THE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE NEEDY" and yet you reply that the Mennonites cared for needy because they thought governments were not doing enough. It is stated as the direct opposite in the Bethania book. -Lori
Actually, based on this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8S3yws_88I from the same debate, I could see myself voting for Ron Paul. This is why I have a problem with the fault lines, and wonder who actually determines what they should be.
ReplyDeleteTo the Bethania venture and the Menno Benevolent
Society, you could add the 9 mental health facilities owned by Monnonites in NA, Mennonite Disaster Service, MCC, Mennonite Economic Development Associates. And that's only a start. I am trilled that I am part of a Christian denomination that has offerred those on the margins and the poor a wide variety of services and assistance. But from my perspective this has always been because government did not do enough. It was never a statement that government should not be developing programs to assist the poor.
Oh dear. Uncle Eric. Did you read the quote from the Bethania book that Caroline sent saying: "Caring for the distressed and disadvantaged is an integral part of the philosophy in the developing history of the Mennonite Church, beginning with its inception in the Netherlands.
ReplyDeleteThe state it was believed should not be expected to assume the responsibility for the needy among them."
see that, "THE STATE SHOULD NOT BE EXPEECTED TO ASSUME THE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE NEEDY" and yet you reply that the Mennonites cared for needy because they thought governments were not doing enough.
It is stated as the direct opposite in the Bethania book. -Lori
Exactly!
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure whether I am disagreeing with the Bethania author or mainstream Mennonite thought.