Thursday, December 17, 2009

Over population

I had written this post as a comment to Karl's post "Green the New Socialism". When I tried to post it, Blogger said it had too many characters.

I will also reply to Krauthammer's piece, but only after I've cooled down a bit.

Let me deal with the National Post article first. It is easier, not because I know the answers, but because we will be closer to agreement on the answers. I did not know of the National Post article until you mentioned it. I agree with the essence of her column, if not the details. Dianne Francis is, as you may know, Conrad Black's wife, and when she was writing for Macleans Magazine, was without a doubt the most right wing columnist there.

I find myself very conflicted about this whole matter of population limits. Part of this is a no-brainer. There is a limit to the number of people who can survive, let alone live on a particular piece of land, whether this is Ethiopia, a piece of land in ancient Israel, or planet Earth. What is that limit? Well it varies – from place to place and time to time. In the past, as far back as Abraham and later Ruth in the OT, and as recent as 1974 in Ethiopia, nature alone determined how many people could survive on a piece of land. If there was overpopulation, a famine occurred. The famine adjusted the number of people to an appropriate number, and life went on. Nature is terribly brutal!

But modern technology has changed that. In 1974, when Mary and I first went to Ethiopia (in response to that famine), the population estimate was 23 million. Today that estimate is over 70 million, and this number is possible because of modern technology – the availability of nitrogenous fertilizer and the ability to transport food long distances, if a shortage occurs anywhere.

But this modern technology has also had unintended devastating consequences. According to Wikipedia, there are records of famines in Ethiopia going to the 9th century. But during this same time there have also been tremendous feats such as the building of rock hewn churches and obelisks (when our forefathers were living in caves and running around in animal skins). Why this combination? Since there was little capacity to mitigate the famine, people starved and died before they had a chance to devastate the countryside. So the forests survived, erosion was minimized, natural fertility of the land was maintained, etc. So when the famine passed, there were the resources to build a culture. Today a famine occurs, but because of modern technology the effects are mitigated. The population scrapes through (survives), and lives to do the “reasonable” thing the next year – clear more forest, plow more land, have more children, devastate the planet.

But ultimately, the resources will not be there. Ultimately, technology will not be able to do its magic.

Yes, the bible says be fruitful and multiply

I have been involved in helping people scrape through. It is a very rewarding experience to be involved in bringing food to a hungry (starving) people. I could be there now, administering food relief. My skill set is very relevant there. I have considered it, and because of the above reservations, I am not now in Africa. Instead I am here in N America, trying to do some education on what it might mean to live more gently on the planet so others living now, or perhaps living in the future can experience some of the abundance I have.

I am totally convinced that if a society wants to prosper on the long run, it needs to control its consumption. In some countries this will mean population control. So far the only effective means we have found is educating women and getting them meaningful jobs. This is effective, but can only be applied in a few places. Other than that, we have the Chinese model, and that is draconian. Who wants to implement that. It probably can’t be implemented in a democracy. And what moral right have I , given the privileges of birth that I have, to say to others they may not have access to the choices I have access to. So?!?!.

In China there is a negative correlation between the birth rate and economic prosperity. I have wondered whether there is a cause and effect. I have not heard anyone suggesting that, but I find it plausible.

And then there is the political angle. Diane Francis, right wing columnist advocates population control. Ronald Regan was the most vociferous critic on China’s one child policy I know. Maybe there is no political angle.

1 comment:

  1. I wonder what the burden of evidence that the "environmental movement" needs that humans are destroying the earth. In too many cases, seems the conclusion has been made, and evidence is unnecessary.

    Just in recent history, the rage in the 1970s was "Global Cooling" as scientific fact. That was shown to be wrong. Then the complete conviction in a commodity crisis in the 1970s, and ever rising prices. That was shown to be wrong. Now "Global Warming" theory appears to be wrong - or at the very least the data is being manipulated - at the expense of seeking the truth. We have Prince Charles in Copenhagen saying "the grim reality is that our planet has reached a point of crisis and we have only seven years before we lose the levers of control.” Its unclear to me why those describing the global situation in terms of panic and chaos, have credibility when they have been so consistently wrong.

    Is there any evidence that the earth today has too many people? Looking at commodity prices we don't get that conclusion. We can also judge it by looking at the number of "deaths by starvation" or "deaths from unnatural causes" as percentage of the population, and comparing with 10, 100, 1000, 5000, 50,0000 year ago? I have not looked, but one would think that such evidence would be necessary before one has complete conviction of a looming crisis (at some point I will try to dig this up). I don't see who we are to judge that 6 billion is too many people. Sure it sounds like a lot of people, but is that how deep the analysis goes? No context for starvation or human suffering is necessary? Why was 100 thousand not too many people 2000 years ago, and hence should we not have had a one child policy then? One hundred thousand sounds like a large number.

    You say "ultimately the resources and technology will not be there". That is a strong statement, that I think requires a body of evidence no? Perhaps you can say that you are simply suggesting its better to prepare for a crisis, that not prepare. I don’t disagree that prudence is always good, but I think we should put the environmental cause in that context and recognize that the panicked rhetoric of today, could have (and often was) been said at any time in the last 10,000 years.

    Hopefully we can meet in Steinbach next week, always enjoy our discussions. We are coming to Canada this week-end, so likely wont have computer access.

    ReplyDelete