I have been thinking some recently as to what we need to do with this blog discussion to make it more purposeful. To a significant extent I have enjoyed the debate and the give and take. But too often, after spending considerable time putting together a blog or comment, I have asked myself if this really the best I could do with my time. One of the serious limitations to the debate we have been having here is that we do too much in sound bites. A good, significant point can hardly be made in 4 or 5 paragraphs, particularly if the person reading it is already holding a different position. I rather think many who have visited this blog on occasion must be tired of Karl and my sparring.
What I am wondering is if there would be interest in doing a sort of on line book club. It's not a new idea others have done it. We take turns suggesting a book, and go through it chapter by chapter. We aim at a chapter a week, but no one gets upset if it takes longer. We take turns leaving a comment for every chapter, and others can respond to the comment or the chapter.
So who is interested in something like this?
Already with posting rights:
Eric yes
Karl H ?
Caroline ?
I can give you posting rights:
Karl K ?
Rob ?
Lori ?
For starters I would suggest a book I have been meaning to read, but have not yet read. It is The High Price for Abundant Living: The High Price of Capitalism by Henry Rempel. http://www.directionjournal.org/article/?1362 But I am open to any book suggestions.
As a more recent and occasional visitor I am not sure I would be able to dedicate the time and thought required to make any qualitative contribution. I will give it some thought, though this is a new concept for me and maybe for the first round, would just watch and learn. Is your goal to make this a more broadly used forum or one of greater depth? It appears you have already indicated that these two objectives might be mutually exclusive. Would this involve each contributer having to purchase and actually read the books agreed to? (I know your smiling now)
ReplyDeleteKarl K.
Although this proposal would focus discussion, I am not that interested in an on-line book club for this forum. I think the people writing on this blog already do a lot of reading and that is what informs their writing.
ReplyDeleteTo fit in another book to read might be too time consuming. Also, good Mennonite point by Karl K. about actually having to purchase a book. : )
While I like the idea of going into greater depth on topics, which a book club may do, given different schedules etc., I am not sure it will work in an efficient manner. So after giving it much thought, I am not in favor of it, but will certainly do if the majority would like to.
ReplyDeleteI think we should continue to seek clarity - given agreement will surely be minimal on most topics. On the topic of "global warming, and environmental danger" I believe we reached a point where we have clarity on what we disagree on, which is helpful. I think on many other issues, we can continue to work towards that at minimum.
I agree it would keep us more focused and I welcome that but I would struggle with time to read a book as I already have a stack of books currently reading or waiting for me to get to.
ReplyDeleteAs Lori pointed out most of us write here based on what we read.
We also find it difficult in appreciating each other's websites and sources of info, thus reading an entire book could be excruciating painful reading for anyone of us, ha ha.
I think if we continue to write on specific topics and current issues as they arise,as opposed to focusing on generalized views, we will be further ahead. I will try to be more clear and focused.
Thanks anyway for the idea.
So does this comment mean you are back in Germany? Will Maple meets Adler come back to life? Anyway, we've missed you.
ReplyDeleteRegarding my proposal, I get the message. i do however want to get away from the sparring. It's useless. Basically I think it causes us to become more entrenched in what we already believe. So do me a favor. If I put something up, and it reads to you as though I am sparring, just comment: "You're sparring, Eric."