Monday, August 30, 2010

Abortion revisited

This is not really an attempt to reopen the abortion dialog. However for a reason I forget, Eric Froese made a point about abortion the other day. He said that in Germany where abortion is a non-issue the national abortion rate is 50% that of the US and Canada. This I found hard to believe, but yes, I googled, presto Germany abortion rate is 50% that of US and Canada. http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/policy/abortion/index.html.

I have no idea why this is the case. I was wondering whether Ms. Maple meets Adler would have an opinion? http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/policy/abortion/mapworldabrate.html

Also why would the abortion rate in Utah be 25% that in California and Michigan? http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/policy/abortion/index.html

3 comments:

  1. Utah has a very large mormon population, a religion that appears to be very successful in producing moral people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think basically the difference between Germany and Canada and USA on abortion is that Germany’s constitutional law protects the right to life, life is more highly valued than anything else and this influenced its abortion law.

    Plus as stated in this article abortions in Germany http://www.thelocal.de/lifestyle/20080605-12291.html
    “German abortion law is clearly formulated to discourage abortion. The infamous Paragraphs 218 and 219 rule that abortion is illegal, making exceptions for women who have undergone counselling.”

    I mentioned the conditions of abortion on June 14 in response to the abortion debate under the comment section, so won't repeat and also touched on the difference in attitude between East and West Germany. You can also read further into this in the Local paper article above. It also addresses the differences in rural and city areas, perhaps this gives you more insight to abortion numbers in Germany.
    Yet based on the charts that you provided from 1996 to 2008 it is encouraging to note that the numbers in many Eastern states have gone down. Could it be that counselling is having an effect?

    Is it the influence of the catholic church on the state in Germany?
    The catholic states of Baden-Wurttemberg and Bayern certainly have lower rates than rest of the country.
    I don’t have any real answers except for the law itself.
    I also am quite sure that abortions are only available in the first trimester.

    Comparing Utah and California, is easy, I am not surprised that the Mormon family friendly state has significantly lower number of abortions.

    I have not read this book, so cannot recommend it, I just came across it but you might find it helpful, it is on google books “Shaping Abortion Discourse, Democracy and public sphere in Germany and US.”

    You don't hear people talking about abortion here just like I don't in Canada amongst my circles, I guess both nations are content with the current laws?
    If I gain anymore insight I will let you know.

    Yes it's good to be back, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i find it interesting that the Mormonism, with its recent history of polygamy, and its unique view of divine inspiration holds this distinction of producing moral people.

    ReplyDelete