We live in a country which is laden with natural resources of which some are renewable and others not as much. As many of us are aware to one degree or another Manitoba Hydro is well on it's way to developing another "power corridor" this time taking a route traversing more miles and costing more money all in the name of "eco friendlier" or less "eco invasive" - going from the northern dams to the southeastern "customer by way of a path west of Lake Manitoba rather than east of Lake Winnipeg.
I need some help here from those of you who may have had time and opportunity for a more in-depth analysis. My very brief overview, simply from the news media, has drawn the conclusion that something very political is afoot when many of their own engineers and former execs say the east side make the most sense and yet the Hydro Board promotes the west in spite of public opposition to boot.
I am tired of paying more than necessary. I am tired of selling my countries resources to others for a pittance while I have to pay full blood for the not only the raw materials but the finished products. Yes I am aware of how well off we are, but does that excuse waste? or mismanagement? We throw away enough food in the western world's to feed the rest of the world and that is the real tragedy and unfortuneatly I see this as more of the same. (Next I'll be slamming Glen Murray's million dollar toilet while mine can't flush because it is flowing wihin 100 year old pipes)
Does anybody else see any merit in a west hydro corridor over an east?
I don't know enough about it but I know Phil has been upset with this for a while. He totally supports the east side and if he read this blog he would have much to say on this topic.
ReplyDelete-Lori
I am sorry that I cannot provide you with a more indepth analysis. I remember reading about this when in Wpg. in summer and it was one of those typical ridiculously stupid and frustrating debates.
ReplyDeleteI have followed it just a bit and admit I know very little so in my naive and humble opinion I would say it all boils down to this. The voices and public outcry of environmentalists and First Nations wanting a Unesco World Heritage site are louder than hard working farmers and communities that want to protect their farm land.
As if "U.S. buyers will refuse to buy electricity that harms the sensitive ecosystem". Do they have an alternative?
I agree with you it is certainly all political.
Spill it out Phil.
I don't agree that its all political - although there are certainly political dimensions to this, particularly when the political parties get hold of it. You can be pretty certain these parties are not in it for the truth, but rather to score political points. I spent an hour or so researching this one this afternoon (which is hardly adequate). There are also some real issues.
ReplyDelete1) The cost of a road on the east side so there would be all weather access.
2) The will of the aboriginals living on the east side of Lake Winnipeg. I gather when this question first came to cabinet, all the aboriginal groups were opposed to bipole III, but this has now changed. The question remains, to what extent does one need to consider the will of the only people who have been interested in what happens on the east side of Lake Wpg until now?
3) UNESO Heritage Site. What's that worth? Who knows?
And there are more real issues. Have you ever wondered why it would not follow bipole I and bipole II? Both go through the inter-lake. What makes this a little more interesting than some energy projects is that the energy giants are not at the table. We all know why the Alberta Oil Sands project will continue to be subsidized, and why the oil will continue to be sold below cost: Big Oil has it's lobbyists in Ottawa. No one stands to gain much on this one, no matter which way it goes.
Eric,
ReplyDeleteA few more thoughts
1) considering that we already have all weather road to Bissett - would the additional road not be considerably less??
2)As to the will of the aboriginals...I would like to hear from the elders not from the politicians who have learned too well from their caucasian brethern how to fleece the flock.(the latest expose of reserve poverty juxtapositioned against the salaries of chiefs and councils(governing over hundreds making more than those governing millions and tens of millions is very very sad)
3) As to a UNESCO heritage site..what is it's value if no one can access it? The Canadian shield is not an easily traversed region. I have travelled and hunted the eastern region up to Long Lake and as beautiful the country is it is rugged and not for the inexperienced.
Why not through the interlake/ my thinking would be to limit diversity of exposure in the event of a natural or not so natural disaster - which makes good sense.
Your last point also rings very true..we probably are on our own on this one
CAB - I agree Americans may complain about our "dirty" oil but still do not hesitate to buy and as far as sensitive ecosystem -thatis relative isn't it - what about the ecosystems to be damaged on the west route?
Phil - we want your wisdom!!
kk