Thursday, November 11, 2010

Biogasanlage doch nicht so gut


The Erntedankfest parade in the big D, was not so dankbar this year, 2 wagons were a protest against Biogas.
I don't want to change the focus from Eric's last post. This is more of a FYI. I know too little about this subject to discuss it anyway.
There are two big Biogasanlage near us, I think providing electricity and heat to small villages. That is a good thing, especially if waste is used for energy, but obviously there isn't enough waste, there are more and more Mais fields popping up for Biogas. This positive idea has turned sour and it smells sour everywhere too.
When you were here in 2007 these Biogasanlage were fairly new and we wondered how long it would take before it was a problem that land would not be used to grow food but for Biogas. I thought this might be in 20 yrs from now or so but already here around Steyerberg 50% of the land is used for Biogas, according to the newspaper. Das ist nicht gut.
This foreseen problem happened so quickly. I must admit I am not aware of all the facts, but it would seem to me that if the gov't subsidizies would stop, fewer would build.

2 comments:

  1. I clearly remember the visit to the bio-gas plant in 2007, but don't remember much of the conversation. Today I would say that in addition to the question of whether land should be used to grow food or fuel, I am concerned about the energy equation. Regardless of the economics of growing biomass to produce ethanol, all the data says that the energy equation is all wrong. It takes at least one unit of fossil energy to produce one unit of bio-gas energy when done in this way. This can only be done because fertilizer is under-priced.

    Of course government subsidies must stop -- in Germany and in the USA. A simple, substantial carbon tax would make so much more sense. But in a free market it may still sense - and the practice will contribute to the ultimate collapse of western civilization (and much more).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just adding one ridiculous note here. Karl told me that he just learned that they are now transporting Mais from Denmark to feed these huge Biogasanlage. That is really environmentally friendly transporting Mais 200km. I am disappointed in Germans I thought they had more Vernunft.
    Oh well I wasn't there for the conversation either, was between you men, I had other topics to discuss with your wonderful wife. I just knew you went on tour so that this development would interest you. Like I said I don't know that much about it really.
    I do share your concern growing food for fuel or in this case for electricity and heat.
    Glad we agree on stopping the subsidies.

    ReplyDelete